Home NEWS Court adjourns Afoko, Issah case to September 22

Court adjourns Afoko, Issah case to September 22

The case of Gregory Afoko and Musah Issah, two persons accused of pouring acid on the late Upper East Regional Chairman of the New Patriotic Party, Mr Adams Mahama has been adjourned to September 22.

The Court presided over by Mr Worlanyo Kotoku adjourned the case after Issah represented by Mr Ampah Korsah prayed the court for an adjournment since his colleague, Mr Alfred Agyei Mensah would not be in court today.

He prayed the court for the adjournment to enable , Mr Alfred Agyei Mensah come and move an application he filed earlier in the proceedings to enable the court vary Issah’s bail application.

Also when the case was called the prosecution was not in court, but the Investigator told the court that Superintendent of Police Francis Baah was not close to the court and that he asked him to inform the court that, he might not be present at the time when the case would be called, thus prayed for an adjournment.

The court therefore adjourned the case to September 22, for the defence counsel to come and move the application for bail variation.

At the last adjourned date the case was adjourned because when the case was called, counsels for Afoko and Issah were not in court.

On August 18, Mr Alfred Agyei Mensah, Counsel for Issah, filed an application for the court to vary Issah’s bail application but the prosecution was also not present when the matter was called.

Meanwhile Counsel for Issah, had prayed the court to vary the bail conditions as his client had complied with the orders of the court.

According to Counsel his client is reporting three times in a week and prayed that, that should be varied and the prosecution was not in court to respond, hence the matter was adjourned.

While Afoko is being held for murder, his accomplice Musah has been charged with abetment of crime and Afoko and Issah’s pleas have not been taken.

In a related development, an Accra High Court has dismissed Gregory’s application for bail pending trial saying there has not been an unreasonable delay in the matter.

The court presided over by Mr Justice K.A Okwabi noted that the facts and charges were properly laid and they connect Gregory to the crime.

According to the court its decision is in the interest of the public, so it denied Gregory bail. Families of the deceased and Gregory however nearly clashed in court following the trading of insults.

On July 10, a Magistrates’ Court in Accra admitted Issah to bail.

The Magistrates’ Court presided over by Mr Worlanyo Kotoku admitted Issah to bail of GH? 20,000.00 with four sureties.

He is to report to the Criminal Investigation Department of the Ghana Police Service before noon from Monday to Thursday until the case is concluded.

Mr Mahama was in May attacked with acid on his way home and later died in hospital.

He reportedly named some of the persons who attacked him.

According to the Police, Afoko after his arrest, was asked to lead the Police to the house of his accomplice, Asabke Alangdi, but “he rather took them to the father’s house.”

The Police said they later located the house of the second person but the suspect had gotten wind of their presence and had absconded with his wife, leaving behind their baby.

A gallon, which allegedly contained some of the substance and a plastic cup were retrieved from the scene for forensic examination,” the Police stated.

The Police said: a “post mortem examination was conducted on the body of the deceased and the Pathologist gave the cause of the death as shocked lungs and extensive acid burns.”

Issah was arrested for allegedly buying the acid used for the attack.

Source: GNA


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here