Sports Minister Nii Lante Vanderpuije has said football fans have not learnt lessons from the May 9 Stadium Disaster which claimed the lives of 127 supporters some 15 years ago.
According to Vanderpuije, the sports ministry as part of their activities will be solemnly laying wreaths to honour the departed at the entrance of the Accra Sports Stadium today.
The former broadcast journalist was the commentator on the day of the disaster, and has lamented over poor education in crowd control during league matches.
“Lessons have not been learnt and people continue to misbehave at the stadia. Officiating has not been the best but I think we should get a level that we allow the system to work.
“My description on the day was that of regret because I was the commentator on the day and we as a country contributed to the disaster. Especially sports journalists heightened the match too much because when expectations were not met small incidence turned into frustration,” he told Starr Sports.
“As a country we never had any experience with this situation so crowd control was difficult and lessons have not been learnt so far,” he added.
BY: starrfm